Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 3.

Got going close to on schedule this morning. Left the campground at Lac la Hache around 08:30.

Headed North to Prince George and hung a left. We have stopped for the night at Burns Lake. (can't help but make Frank Burns jokes)

Passed throught the mill towns of Quesnel and Prince George. Quesnel is something else. Population something like 10,000 people. 10 sawmills and 2 pulp plants. I am pretty sure the town hums.

I looked at some of the APRS tracking logs today. Looks like there are some major holes in coverage. Not too surpising. Most parts of the road don't even have comercial radio coverage. Life in the way the heck gone out here.

Tomorrow we are planning on taking on the first 1/3 or so of the Cassiar highway. Probably the most remote section of the North bound trip. Don't expect frequent updates to the map the next couple of days.

Today's mileage 320. Last fueling I calculated 11.11MPG I am pleased. I had figured 10 would be good. Fuel cost in Prince George was .939 per liter. Took 93.72 liters to top off. Highway conditions have been great. The open road has a 100KPH speed limits so you can really cover the ground. Somehow, these folks are doing an outstanding job maintaining their roads. I am sure a contributing factor is the fact that is appears that most of the log trucks use company roads direct from the woods to the mills. Finished products go out on either the main roads or rail.

That's it for now. I hope I can find a connection tomorrow to update things.

1 comment:

Katie H. said...

We have been at Burns Lake on Easter in 1981. The lake was frozen, but so beautiful. I think there is good fishing up there too.
:)