Monday, July 9, 2007

Day 15

7/8/2007

Departed camp in Willow AK around 08:30. Still headed North bound headed for Fairbanks via Denali.

The road and weather started out great. Relatively smooth and off and on rain. Just the way I like it. As the day progressed, the sun came out the the road got icky.

Denali is another real area of extremes. This time, beautiful scenery and way too many people wondering around. The load of people getting off of buses and the train was staggering. One thing that kept me going was all of the people paid a lot of money to be hauled up the hill and they wouldn't see a thing :+) Mountain was socked in with clouds. I'm awful I know. Still, I must find irony whenever I can. I could almost hear them complaining to the tour operator that they wanted there money back since they didn't see the big hill.

Now, the park does have a very nice new visitors center. Great displays that keep kids of all ages engaged and informed to the park MESSAGE.

Ok, I will get off my soap box and leave you with some pictures. Mileage today 268. We will spend the next couple of days in Fairbanks. Looking over the sites and visiting another cousin.





One of the monster hotels of the area outside the park entrance. This one is "located above the hustle of the highway" I wonder if they realize how much hustle they create?








































































The visitors center is said to be solar powered. They certainly had a considerable number of photo voltaic panels up.











Inside view of the photo voltaic's. They let in enough light that very little artificial light is required inside.












Patrick did the required work for his junior ranger certificate.












































No comments: